The Church of SS Croce

The Church of SS Croce was built on the foundations of the ancient Church of Matrice di San Nicola, dating from
the year 1138.

The final rebuilding of the church that one can see today began in 1694 under the orders of Cardinal Orsini. It has been discovered that before becoming a church, the structure was in fact part of the original Norman castle, now the Palazzo Ducale.

The Montalto family’s private chapel is still directly connected and overlooks the altar of the church of SS Croce. Having been restored recently, the chapel and the church have been reconsecrated and blessed by the Archbishop of
Benevento. Both can be used for religious ceremonies including marriages and baptisms.